Lemon rice is a very popular South Indian recipe, which is easy to prepare. Lemon rice is also known as Pulihora or Nimmakaya annum and is generally consumed along with chutney. I’d personally prefer to have lemon rice with a combination of masala vada.
The time required to prepare lemon rice is 10 minutes. Before getting to the steps, you might need to check the benefits of lemon rice. Lemon is a storehouse of Vitamin C. lemons are also enriched with Vitamin B 6.
To prepare lemon rice in simple three steps. The first step is tempering, the second step is to add tempering to the cooked rice, the third step is to squeeze lemon juice and garnish with cilantro and serve.
You may also like:
Ingredients for lemon rice:
- Boiled rice – 2 cups or 200 g
- Lemon juice – 1/4 cup or 3 lemons
- Curry leaves – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Chopped coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- Red chillies – 6
- Green chillies – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 spoon
- Salt – 2 spoons
- Peanuts – 4 spoons
- Mustard seeds and cumin seeds – 2 spoons
- Black gram (Urad dal) – 1 spoon
- Bengal gram(chana dal) – 1 spoon
- Heat a pan and add oil.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, add chana dal, urad dal, peanuts until it turns to golden in colour.
- Add green chillies, red chillies and curry leave when it begins to crackle.
- Add turmeric powder and adjust the salt as required.
- Switch off the flame and check the spices.
The colour of lemon rice depends upon turmeric powder and adjust it according to your taste. Turn off the flame and add lemon juice.
Add the tempering to the rice:
- Pour this tempering mixture into the rice and mix well.
- Squeeze lemon juice into the rice and adjust the consistency mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Lemon rice is ready to serve.
- Serve with bonda, papadum, punugulu or vada and chutney as you wish.
- Enjoy the refreshing and tangy lemon rice.